Wednesday, October 05, 2005

What’s your poison, baby?

Guns ’n’ Roses used to do a little, but then a little got more and more. How do you know that you’re an addict?

This thought occurred in my mind as I was thinking of ways to live next door to Princess, which is draining valuable brain-time. I am still not sure if I am addicted. It could be my work, love of status quo, my restlessness, my love for humans and Princess or a combination of all. However, even if I knew, should I really pursue an addiction?

Alcoholics tend to pursue their favourite past time, i.e. drinking, with a vengeance. However, drinking does not seem to make alcoholics happy. In reality is seems that pursuing certain addictions sometimes make you unhappy. On the other hand my dad pursued my mum with the conviction of an addict. He once told me that after he met my mother that was it. He never looked back and at the moment they are touring the states together having the time of their lives. Clearly, some addicts seem to turn out alright, even though they stick to their poison. On the other hand, an ex-girlfriend’s workaholic of a dad had a heart attack next to the machine he was working. Some addicts apparently come close to dieing or actually die. With both happy and unhappy results my test, whether it is good or not to pursue an addiction, ends inconclusive.

However, what seems to cut across all the behaviour of all addicts is that they do not seem to have a choice in the matter. Since I am contemplating options, I guess I am drug-free. Nevertheless I wish I could join the addiction-craze and turn from contemplating to action. Please, dear God administer the poison that is rightfully mine!

Karl

No comments: