Saturday, October 15, 2005

Got Dental Issues?

Steve Larkin Tounsi Harry Angel

It’s that time again, so I rock up at the Zodiac to get my new braces fitted. Big cheese dentist Richard greats me with one of those perfect grins that only professionals have.

Performance poet Steve Larkin educates us in an interesting session covering our love for Melody, sex, fat and professors regurgitating others work in their little compendiums. It’s entertaining and Steve brings down a lot of laughter. One of his lines neatly sums up my previous relationships: Is she the one for me? She is history!

Tounsi’s ginger headed drummer, jamming blues-looking keyboardist, four-eyes of a stand up bass player and dark Arabic lead singer make up an unlikely act with unlikely songs. As Tunsi sings in Arabic with a wailing voice, I know I am in for a treat. There is a nice oriental ambience in their music combined with traditional blues and rock influences. If these guys continue to do their ting well, then there’s a good chance that the world will start believing in itself again. Keep it up and come back!

In their best moments Harry Angel let the drums and bass drive there music, in a similar way that Queens of the Stoneage do in songs like Hangin’ Tree. What they build up, however, is unfortunately all too soon lost for no particular reason. Clearly there is talent in this band, but I would like them to use those rhythms that they now mostly keep to themselves. On the other hand, what the does an immigrant like me know, apart from the welfare system?

The art work on screen during the evening was really nicely combined with some worthwhile quotes. Most interesting contrast was the shot of a sterile parking complex at night combined with Tunsi’s prayer-like voice. It was as if Jesus and Allah tried to tell me to wake up and to keep stuff real. I read on the wall: “daylight was something I only caught a glimpse of”, before I walk out in the dark with my new braces. Maybe I caught a glimpse or maybe I am just a new age hooker.

Karl

Review Gappy Tooth Night September

No comments: