Monday, October 17, 2005

Sorry, We’re Fresh out of Fun!

A few nights ago I was at the Big Speakers concert at the Zodiac and they were really good. I mean the first two songs were pretty slow but nice, and then they picked up pace. The song that made the most impression on me was about that saying sorry is meaningless. I liked that a lot and it’s going straight into my toolbox.

After looking around the club after the gigs, without finding a decent girl, I and Mattolladew walked out. On our way home we spot an awfully lonesome cone on the pavement. So like the good Samaritans we are, we place it in the middle of the road, and stand back. A geezer drives up to it, gets out of the car, throws the cone to the side and drives off. We giggle from a safe distance. A little later, as we walk into town, we encounter yet another cone, which we obviously place in the middle of the road, before being on our way. Next thing we know this fun-loving girl is shouting at us, explaining that she has taken the cone to the side. Oh well, thanks honey! I guess that’s why I put it there in the first place. Now, you might be excused for wondering why I even bothered to write this, but the episode with the fun-loving girl made me ponder life in general and the anonymous system in particular.

To lead a fun life is pretty hard nowadays. Sure, we got and abundance of food, drink, health and can expect to outlive our ancestors with great many years. However, why are we not happier? Some people complain, just like the Big Speakers, about a system that does not love them back. Well, I cry for you as well as for Argentina. Nobody deserves to be loved by a system, period. Some people become activists and try working against the system. Go on, be a crusader, but pretty please not on my watch. Nobody gets away with tearing down what others built up, plus it’s just too Bin Laden. Others turn into a herd and go on about working with the system. Forget it! I will not cheer you on as you remove cones from the middle of the road. Nobody remembers conformity and it is not the way to harness your beauty.

A fun life involves sneaking yourself through the system with your soul intact. If you are caught out, which happens to me more often than I like, remember Lincoln: “You are what you are. Be a good one”. Did that come out like a system to beat the system? Sorry, I guess I am fresh out of fun.

Karl

As Published in October issue of the Denture

No comments: